Thursday, July 30, 2009

How to Build Customer Impulse and Increase Sales

As a door to door salesman, it is very necessary to learn how to handle rejection and not take the word "no" personally. If we take a little bit of time to pay attention to the signals of others, we can quickly learn that "no" could also mean "now right now", or "maybe".

Here are a few tools which may help you receive quicker responses from your prospects, generate instant feedback, and increase your sales.

Attitude of Indifference

When I speak of this, it is from the standpoint of understanding that I will receive a lot of rejection and I cannot allow myself to become emotionally attached to the outcome of the sales presentation. If I focus on exposure, my mind will be geared toward sharing my products with as many people as possible, not upon lack of sales. My mental approach toward the sales presentation is, "you have one chance of getting a deal like this, but I have hundreds of opportunities to show it". I never said that directly to the customers, but as long as I knew it, I always excelled because I understood that the more people I showed, the more sales I made.

Urgency

You have to take action with a purpose. Everything must go and you have to act right now! Having the "pep in your step" mentality is a great way of creating energy. Your prospects feel the sense of urgency. I look at my wristwatch, I observe you watching me, and I also make movements similar to someone that needs to use the restroom. It can be quite a sight to see and at times hilarious, however, it usually works because the prospect will make a decision quickly and it will save your time. You will not feel like your time is being wasted.

Greed Factor

As a sales representative, if you are not using greed as a tool, then you are missing out on many opportunities. First, let's use a kinder phrase for greed factor and cal it bandwagon. Many people take advantage of deals and specials because someone else told them about them. When a neighbor on your street purchases a car after you, or four or five neighbors added wind chimes or upgraded lighting fixtures to the outside of the house, these are all examples of the bandwagon effect. When you are peddling your wares, you have to let them know about the others that picked up the product and took advantage of your deals. Use examples and refer to the owner of the salon that picked up a case of your product to use as free gifts for his customers. Let people know how your neighbors picked up a few cases to send home overseas as gifts. Your goal is to spread the word and watch the bandwagon effect take place.

Fear of Loss

This is probably one of the most powerful tools to build impulse. The classic example is to watch someone take candy from a baby and witness the baby's reaction. People do not want to miss out and lose a good thing. A typical sales pitch is "we only have five left" or "we'll be completely sold out in the next ten minutes!" These examples may or may not be true, but they do work, and they all have been used at some time or another to create impulse and generate a deeper curiosity for the product. Take time and think of ways to add some fear of loss to your pitch. I have personally witnessed hundreds of customers experience fear of loss, when I took my product from their hands or if I only had a few items left. Take some time to view television commercials, radio ads, and other forms of media and pay attention to the different ways they demonstrate fear of loss.

There are many ways to build impulse and increase customer sales. With enthusiasm, a great attitude and practice, you can become a master of building impulse, create great customer relationships, and convert higher sales in a shorter period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment